To change the width of columns in Print Preview
When the page margins are displayed the additional handles across the top of the preview page are column dividers. If the preview displays ### symbols instead of numbers the column is not wide enough, even if it appears normally on the worksheet.
- Click-and-drag the column handle on the right of the ### symbols to change the size of the column
The new size is displayed on the Status bar as it is adjusted . The column width is adjusted on the worksheet correspondingly.
Change the Page Setup
The Page Setup dialogue box is used to print sideways (landscape orientation), scale the print to fit one or more pages, adjust margins, create page headers and footers, and print or hide gridlines and screen colours. If you are changing the Page Setup from the Print Preview screen, click OK to return to the preview screen and see the effect.
To display the Page Setup dialogue box
- On the Print Preview toolbar, click the Setup... button
- From the File menu, select Page Setup...
The Page Setup dialogue box is displayed.
Page Setup dialogue box
To change page orientation and paper size
The paper size should match the paper in the printer, or the worksheet will not print correctly. Standard paper sizes are A4 in the UK and Letter in the US. You can change the page orientation between portrait (tall and thin) and landscape (short and wide). Landscape is a better option for a large number of columns (or very wide columns).
- From the Page Setup dialogue box, select the Page tab
- From the Paper size: list box, select the type of paper used
- From the Orientation panel, select Portrait or Landscape
Tip: If you print a worksheet regularly, you may want to adjust the Print quality to a lower setting in order to save ink.
To change print scaling
- From the Scaling panel, click the Adjust to: option button and enter a scaling factor in the % normal size spin box
A number less than 100 can be used to shrink the print to any required size, a number greater than 100 can be used enlarge it to fill the page.
- Click the Fit to: option button and in the page(s) wide by and tall boxes, enter the maximum number of pages that the print must be limited to
If the print is bigger than one page it will shrink equally in both directions until it fits the smallest dimension. If the print already fits on one page the Fit to: option has no effect.
To change the margins and print alignment
- From the Page Setup dialogue box, select the Margins tab
Page Setup - Margins dialogue box
- Enter the new margin dimensions in the boxes around the example page
- From the Center on page panel, click the alignment tick boxes required
To hide or display gridlines, colours and headings
Gridlines on the screen will not print out unless selected from Page Setup. Colours used on the screen are printed out as shades of grey on a black and white printer. Intense colours such as blue and red print out dark; pale colours such as yellow and pink print out as light grey.
On some sheets, you may want to include the column and row headings (letters and numbers).
Page Setup- Sheet dialogue box
- From the Print panel click the Gridlines check box to print the gridlines from the screen
- Click the Black and white check box to ignore screen colours and print the worksheet black on a white background
- Click the Row and column headings check box to include them in the printout
- Click OK
Tip: To hide gridlines from the screen display as well, from the Tools menu, select Options then click the View tab. Uncheck the Gridlines check box and click OK.