Objectives of this Tutorial
Generally: To preview and print a worksheet using different page setup options.
Specifically: On completion of this lesson, you will be able to:
- Preview and print a worksheet
- Print a selection
- Change page orientation and scaling
- Set page margins and centring
- Setup headers and footers
- Set, print and clear a print area
- Insert and remove a page break
- Print column and row titles and set other options
For the most part, a worksheet appears on paper as it looks on the screen, including use of fonts, column and row sizes and so on. Most of the presentation is covered by the screen formatting commands.
However, there are some additional print formatting commands that do not affect the screen display but will affect the printout. These include headers and footers, page rotation and print scaling. Additionally the colours and gridlines used on the screen can be switched on or off for the printout.
Print Preview allows the layout and presentation to be checked on screen before printing. Page breaks can be inserted or moved and margins can be adjusted to provide a reasonable amount of page content.
Use Print Preview
Print Preview provides a useful view of your sheet for adjusting margins and getting the print to fit on a single page. Before printing your spreadsheet check the presentation with Print Preview.
To use Print Preview
- On the Standard toolbar, click Print Preview
- From the File menu, select Print Preview
The Preview screen is displayed.
Print Preview Screen
At the bottom of the screen the current page number and total number of pages in the print is displayed.
- On the Preview toolbar, click Next to advance to the next page or Previous to go back
- Click Close to return to the worksheet
To change the zoom level in Print PreviewTo enlarge the preview move the pointer onto the page and click once, or on the Preview toolbar click the Zoom button
Use the scroll bars to move around the page
To view the whole page again click once anywhere on the page, or on the Preview toolbar click the Zoom button again
On the preview screen the mouse pointer appears as a magnifying glass .
To adjust the page margins in Print Preview
- On the Preview toolbar, click the Margins button
The margins are displayed on the screen as black lines with handles at each end.
Print Preview margins
The header and footer margins are where the header and footer information is placed on the page. The top, bottom, left and right margins are the limits of the data area on the page.
- Position the pointer over a margin to adjust
The pointer changes to a double-headed arrow, pointing in the direction of movement .
- Click-and-drag the margin to a new position
The selected margin and size are displayed on the Status bar . Columns or rows may be moved between pages depending on the extent of the margin changes.